Indian food is incomplete without spicy, sweet achaar (pickle).Here is the easy peasy quick lemon achaar for which you don’t have to wait for months to get it ready to eat.
My family is true achaar lovers including my baby girl. At the same time I hate store bought ones. Though I never tried Mom and granny style complicated achaar, I never missed a year without making this quick nimboo achaar.
It is a ground version of achaar so more or less it looks like a sauce but the taste is exactly same as khatta mitha nimboo achaar we all tasted in our household.
We love meetha achhar so I added lots of jaggery; you may use sugar and can adjust its quantity as per your own taste.
As per Ayurveda lemon pickle is good for digetion.I remember my mom and granny used to give us aged lemon pickle for stomach ache.I had around 11 yrs old aged lemon pickle at one my friend’s place.It had become so dark colored and dry and her granny enlightened us on how beneficial it is for so many stomach problems.
Lemons big sized 6
Black salt 1tbsp
Chili powder 11/2 tbsp
Jaggery or sugar 1 ½ cup
Ginger powder 1 tsp (optional)
1. Wash lemons and pat dry completely.
2. Cut the lemons in halves and deseed them.
3. Put the lemons and spices in blender and blend to a puree. It is ok if it has coarse pieces.
4. Add jaggery to the puree and mix well. Pour the mix in jar and leave the jar in sunshine for 4-5 days. Your pickle is ready to eat.
5. You may keep the jar in sunshine for few more days. More it gets exposed to sun; it increases its shelf life.