I would rather refer it as a no meat, vegan,glutenfree fried protein balls… …yeah…tons of reasons to include it in your diet.
Lebanese Falafel are chickpea fritters which are too simple to make and completely irresistible in your meal…I love the way it is being served .perfectly fitted in pita bread pocket with shredded cabbage,lettuce,onions,tomatoes and paired with tahini sauce or hummus.What a delightful combo it is.
Falafel is surely one of the traditional a middele eastern delicacies which are well known all over the world now.I remember I have seen few lebanese food outlets popped up in Nagpur ,we used to visit these eateries during my postgraduate college days.Relocated to South Africa ,we hunted for some vegetarian fast foods and the search ended to a branded food outlet here in SA named “ANAT” which serves all the Arab delicacies in its authentic form.
No wonder I immediately tried my own homemade version of falafel,and with my two beloved approved it heartily…needless to say so many baches of falafel with my own twist and tricks has been successfully tried and tasted in my kitchen.
In this version of Lebanese falafel I avoided deep frying of falafel and just shallow fried them.My “less oil “ savy mind insisted me to make these falafels in patties form which were convenient to shallow fry.
Dried chickpeas 1 cup
onion, roughly chopped 1 medium
chopped fresh parsley 2 tbsp
crushed garlic 1 tbsp
flour ½ cup
cumin seeds 1tsp
ground coriander 1tsp
black pepper ¼ tsp
red chilli powder ¼ tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil for shallow frying
5.Serve with pita bread, shredded salad and hummus.
- Dried chickpeas 1 cup
- onion, roughly chopped 1 medium
- chopped fresh parsley 2 tbsp
- crushed garlic 1 tbsp
- flour ½ cup
- cumin seeds 1tsp
- ground coriander 1tsp
- black pepper ¼ tsp
- red chilli powder ¼ tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for shallow frying
- Soak chickpeas in enough water overnight.
- drain the water and grind chickpeas in blender with all other ingredients except oil.Keep the mix little coarse .Use pulse mode so that the mix wont turn into smooth paste.
- Take a big spoonful of mix and make roundels .Flatten it with palm as we need to shallow fry them.
- Heat oil in pan and shallow fry these patties to a golden brown color.
- Serve with pita bread, shredded salad and hummus.