How about a hot, spicy bowl of missal with pav?Misal pav is the most wholesome breakfast you could ask for.
Misal pav is a traditional Maharashtrian breakfast recipe which is known for its extra spicy taste and heat. You may find it as a street food on well known pathways of Mumbai. Though the city is known for its diverse street foods available there its quiet notable that pav has become an integral part of most of the Mumbaiya food. Pav bhaji,Vada pav, Misal pav,dabheli are the identified food items sold by hawkers on Mumbai streets.Curries,vadas,fritters paired with pav or buns are what you call them all. The super speedy life of Mumbai might have found these pav as a most convenient food to go with. It is for sure “Pair it with a spicy side and get to go” kind of meal.
Misal pav is simply a lentil curry paired with pav. The lentil curry is made up of sprouted matki beans or sprouted mixed beans .While serving this spicy curry is to be garnished with chivda mix,sev,chopped onion, tomatoes and coriander and should be dished up with pav.Sambharvadi is another Maharashtrian street food You will love to try.
I love lentil curries in our meal ,I don’t make it that spicy though. Sprouted beans curry is such a wholesome and protein rich side dish for your everyday meal too. I make this Misal pav often when I find myself in “nothing in fridge” situation.
Sprouted matki bean or sprouted mixed beans 11/2 cup
Oil 3 tbsp
Mustard and cumin seeds 1 tsp
Asafetida ½ tsp
Dry red chilies 2
Onion chopped 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder ½ tsp
Curry leaves 5-6
Ginger and garlic paste1/2 tbsp
Tomatoes chopped 2 tbsp
Garam masala 1tsp
Pav buns 6
Salt as per taste
Sev or chivda mix ¾ cup
Onions finely chopped 1cup
Tomatoes finely chopped 1 cup
Coriander leaves chopped 1tbsp
4.Next add tomatoes and salt, chili powder and stir well. Cook till gets tender.
6.While serving garnish the curry with chopped onions,tomatoes,coriander leaves and chivda mix,sev.Serve with pav.
- Sprouted matki bean or sprouted mixed beans 11/2 cup
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Mustard and cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Asafetida ½ tsp
- Dry red chilies 2
- Onion chopped 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Curry leaves 5-6
- Ginger and garlic paste1/2 tbsp
- Tomatoes chopped 2 tbsp
- Garam masala 1tsp
- Pav buns 6
- Salt as per taste
- For topping
- Sev or chivda mix ¾ cup
- Onions finely chopped 1cup
- Tomatoes finely chopped 1 cup
- Coriander leaves chopped 1tbsp
- Lemon slices
- Procedure :
- Wash matki and other beans thoroughly, soak overnight ,drain and sprout them by binding in a cloth . 2.Pressure cook sprouts with turmeric and a pinch of salt for 2 full whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper it with cumin and mustard seeds and hing.Once it crackles add onion, ginger garlic paste and fry till golden brown. Add curry leaves,chillis and turmeric powder.
- Next add tomatoes and salt, chili powder and stir well. Cook till gets tender.
- Add sprouts with leftover water and let it cook for 5-7 mins.
- While serving garnish the curry with chopped onions,tomatoes,coriander leaves and chivda mix,sev.Serve with pav.