This soothing Pumpkin Dal is unsurpassed for weekday dinner and appetizing sides for your steamy rice or parathas.
To my surprise I haven’t added any dal fry recipe to my blog. I don’t know why I skipped adding my most favorite food on the planet to my blog space. For me and my hubby ,Dal fry with steamy rice and ghee(clarified butter) and pickle is just more than heaven served in a plate. We two can relish over this dal chawal like we are getting served all the “Chhappan Bhog”(All good meals served in a platter).
I must admit I have been making verity of dal for my dinner…with so many tricks and twists and all these my dal endeavors are whole heartily welcomed by all. I won’t be discussing all these variations here as I would be posting all of them here sooner or later.
Coming to today’s Pumpkin dal recipe .this creamy ,thick flavorful dal is a must try dearies .I am sure you would thank me trying this dal in your kitchen. First and foremost your kiddos won’t be able to figure out pumpkin is there in dal and in that way you can easily add pumpkin to their diet.Secondly,Pumpkin is one of those veggies which takes least time to cook ,so it’s very perfect for your dal recipe which can be prepared in no time. Thirdly this pumpkin dal is a delightful wonder as a side. Win a win always.
Tuwar dal 1 cup(yellow lentils)
Pumpkin peeled and cubed 1 cup
Oil 3 tbsp
Mustard and cumin seeds 1 tsp
Asofoetida ½ tsp
Dry red chilies 2
Onion chopped 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder ½ tsp
Curry leaves 5-6
Crushed ginger1/2 tbsp
Tomatoes chopped 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
1.Wash tuwar dal thoroughly and pressure cook with turmeric and a pinch of Asofoetida for 3 full whistles. Once cooled whisk well to a smooth paste.
- Tuwar dal 1 cup(yellow lentils)
- Pumpkin peeled and cubed 1 cup
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Mustard and cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Asofoetida ½ tsp
- Dry red chilies 2
- Onion chopped 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Curry leaves 5-6
- Crushed ginger1/2 tbsp
- Tomatoes chopped 2 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Wash tuwar dal thoroughly and pressure cook with turmeric and a pinch of Asofoetida for 3 full whistles. Once cooled whisk well to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper it with cumin and mustard seeds and hing.Once it crackles add onion, garlic and fry till golden brown. Add curry leaves,chillis and turmeric powder.
- Next add pumpkin and tomatoes and salt, chili powder and stir well. Cook till both gets tender. Mash well with spatula.
- Pour tuwar dal puree and let dal boil for 5-7 mins.put off the flame and serve hot.