Peanut chikki or peanut brittle is the best sweet snack to munch on. Next time if your kid asks for chocolate ,give him this nutritious, full of goodness chikki and he will love it for sure.
Peanut chikki or brittle is no new to we Indians. I have been grown up eating this chikki and it is one of my favorite snacks. When I was working full time ,I used to have some munch able snacks in my purse and peanut brittle is one of them I used to carry all the time.
Chikki or brittle is a kind of candy made using nuts and sugar or jaggery.You may add nuts of your choice name that chikki with that nut,like you may have sesame brittle, almond brilttle,cashew brittle or even fixed fruit brittle. I remember there is a tourist place near Mumbai in India, named Khandala which is famous for chikkis or brittle. Yes you may find all sorts of chikkis there that you might haven’t thought of. You just name it and you get it. As a kid I used to wait for guests coming from Mumbai or Pune as chikkis were sure to come along with them.
In the month of January, Hindus celebrate an auspicious festival of MakarSankranti.Chikkis can be easily related to this festival as chikkis or brittle are made in Indian households for the festive celebration. Mainly its sesame seeds which are used in most of the preparations..Sesame seed and peanut laddu and sesame seeds and peanut chikki or brittle are common ones. As its winter time in India eating sesame seeds, peanuts and jaggery is extremely beneficial for chilly days. Both sesame and peanuts are very good source of proteins are known to provide warmth to body in freezing days. Jaggery is also kind of warm ingredient as per Ayurveda and rich in iron and minerals.
You must make a point to give these peanut brittles to your kids not only in winters but all the time in year as it is super beneficial and supreme easy to make.
- Peanuts 1 ½ cups
- Jaggery 1¼ cup
- Salt a pinch
- Ghee(clarified butter) 1 tbsp
- Roast peanuts I a pan on medium heat stirring it continuously, till you see skin of peanuts getting off.
- Avoid get them burnt.
- Let them cool and take off their skins.
- Grate Jaggery and melt it in a heavy bottomed pan .Stir continuously till you see the mix bubbling.
- To check the consistency ,pour a drop of melted jiggery in a cup of water, if it solidifies instantly ,it is ready. Switch off the flame.
- Add peanuts to melted jaggery and mix well.
- Grease a tray with ghee and spread the mix over it. Roll the mix with rolling pin instantly to make it layer of around ½ cm thick. Let it be cooled.
- Cut into pieces and store in air tight container.